most weekend mornings start with a bowl of cereal or some fruit and yogurt. occasionally we'll have breakfast tacos or a pancake or two, but our waffle iron only comes out once or twice a year. maybe i should change that.
gingerbread waffles of insane greatness
adapted from food network
50 minutes total, 20 minutes active; serves 2 adults (makes 4 waffles)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
your favorite waffle accompaniment for serving
- in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- add the milk, buttermilk, oil, molasses, egg, sugar, and vanilla and mix well.
- cover with plastic wrap and let the mixture rest on your counter for 30 minutes.
- when the batter has ten minutes left to rest, preheat your waffle iron.
- when the batter is ready, spray your waffle iron with non stick spray. divide batter evenly amongst four waffles and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.