for the first year or so we were married, some version of this sandwich - sometimes with bacon, others without onions - made it onto our dinner plates about once a week. full of garlicky mayo, fresh basil, melty cheese, and sauteed onions, it's the definition of quick & easy weeknight dinner.
grilled turkey, onion, and garlic panini
30 minutes, makes 4 panini
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large sweet onion, sliced
4-6 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, thin sliced or minced
2/3 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise
4 soft rolls
8 slices provolone cheese
about 1 pound sliced turkey
- melt the butter in a sautepan over medium low heat. add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and saute until soft, about 15 minutes.
- while the onions are grilling, mix the garlic, basil, and mayo together in a small bowl.
- preheat a panini press, george foreman grill, or grill pan.
- cut the rolls in half and spread each side with the garlic mayo. put one slice of cheese on each bread half. layer the turkey and sauteed onions to make the sandwiches.
- brush the bottoms of the sandwiches with vegetable oil and place oiled side down in your grill or pan. brush the top with vegetable oil and close the grill. grill for about five minutes, until cheese is melted. if using a grill pan, grill a few minutes per side. serve hot.