8.15.2011

secret recipe club: whole wheat honey pancakes

i don't know what i was thinking when i chose these whole wheat honey pancakes from itzy's kitchen for my secret recipe club selection this month. don't get me wrong, it took me no time to make them and the flavor is great. no matter what i do, cooking pancakes is one thing i have yet to master. (and cooking rice, but that's another story all together. how come i can make ravioli from scratch, endless varieties of risotto, towering layer cakes, and jam with ease, but two simple things always defeat me?!) i thought i had mastered them last winter, and it wasn't until i was elbow deep in wheat flour and honey making these when i realized those carrot pancakes were made on my electric stove, which thankfully was kicked to the curb a couple months ago in exchange for gas. long story short, my heat and timing were all off and the first two batches were either burnt to a crisp or raw in the middle. luckily the last batch came out perfectly brown and cooked through.

and had i been able to cook the darn things, these pancakes make the perfect weekend breakfast. the wheat flour fills you up without being thick. we've all had bad diner pancakes that sit like a rock in our stomach. these are not those pancakes. they're the perfect breakfast to fuel an afternoon of weeding, lawn mowing, or spending the day lazing around.

i can't write about itzy's kitchen without sending a huge congratulations to erica and her husband josh. in the last month, she went from very pregnant to a new mom!

for more information on the secret recipe club, including the list of participating bloggers, featured recipes from members, and instructions on how to join, visit the all new secret recipe club website! due to overwhelming popularity of the src - and 139 participating bloggers - this month's posts are split into three groups. today is the first group's posting date. check the src website on august 22 and 29 for groups two and three's posts.

check out my previous src posts below
minted pineapple lime agua frescabreakfast tacos
simple almond sandwich cookies
roasted banana rum cake

whole wheat honey pancakes
adapted from itzy's kitchen
20 minutes, makes 10 pancakes

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup honey
2 egg whites
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
up to 1/4 cup whole milk
  1. preheat your skillet on medium heat.

  2. in a large bowl, whisk the egg whites, buttermilk, and honey until well blended. add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix just until blended.

  3. mix in the olive oil and vanilla. add the milk about one tablespoon at a time until the mixture is thick but runny.

  4. coat your skillet with nonstick spray. pour about 1/4 cup batter per pancake. cook until lightly browned, about a minute on each slide. serve with real butter and maple syrup.

21 comments:

  1. I'm witcha, honey. I made pancakes for breakfast yesterday, and while they were cooked through, they sure weren't anything to write home about in the looks department! Now, I can help you with rice. :-)

    I'm always looking for another whole grain pancake for the healthy breakfast arsenal, and this looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, such a delicious dessert! What a great recipe for SRC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the whole wheat in there, perfect.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love whole wheat pancakes. My kids don't even know I do them with whole wheat and they like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off- thank you :) You're so sweet! Second- don't we all have that one food we can't seem to get? For me its scrambled eggs. I mean, I can make them....they're just not all nice and fluffy like they should be! Glad you enjoyed!~

    ReplyDelete
  6. pancakes! I loves them! but I also find it hard to get them right - not burnt neither raw in the middle.
    It's with our challenges we grow and learn don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have all of the ingredients on hand to make these. Looks like I will be making these for breakfast tomorrow since my dad is in town visiting for the week. It takes me two or three pancakes into the project before I finally get a perfect pancake. I would like to invite you to visit my blog to enter my giveaway. Check it out if you are interested. http://imapretendchef.blogspot.com/2011/08/food-should-taste-good-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. We ate normally a weekend pancake duo (grumpy & me). We love them smothered in butter and pure maple syrup! AND they do keep you satisfied for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's why I much prefer making crepes. You can find a recipe from my blog here:
    crepes

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't get the big deal with pancakes anyway, so it's cool :P

    Great hooks with those links btw, I ended up bookmarking all the cakes [I'm a pure baker, just began learning how to cook]

    ReplyDelete
  11. risotto is the dish that I can't seem to tackle, myself - so i'm jealous of your skills there! But these pancakes look perfectly done too, so I find it hard to believe that you have difficulty with pancakes =)

    Great choice for the SRC - definitely making me want to have a breakfast for dinner type of night =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even your imperfect pancakes look great and very very inviting! Love that they are whole wheat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We made pancakes this weekend too, and I managed to burn a couple as well... The one burner cooks way too hot :)

    Glad you got a few to turn out. They look and sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Problems or not - they look really delicious. I am planning on making pancakes for breakfast one of the last days of my vacation, and this might be the version to try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, the ones that turned out for you look great! I just hope you didn't have a house full of hungry people to feed b/c I bet you had a full-out war over that pretty plate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. lucky for me, my taste tester doesn't discriminate against burnt pancakes nearly as much as i do and the three survivors were mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always prefer honey to sugar. What great pancakes, definitely seem more guilt-free than typical ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep seeing this picture and title in the SRC blog hop list, and every single time I first think it says "holy pancakes." So funny. But this recipe looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A tasty, healthy, and filling break sounds like a winning combination to me! These look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm OK with pancakes, but I'm totally with you on the rice! It's my nemesis!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those pancakes sound great! I have some wheat flour I need to use up.

    Thanks for sharing about what you made :)

    Jennifer
    For Such a Time as This
    www.jennifersikora.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...