i totally agree with holly at phemomenon - sometimes all i want is a simple piece of chocolate cake and all the microwave cake recipes out there aren't cutting it. so for this month's secret recipe club, her simple chocolate snack cake is just what i was looking for. in less than 30 minutes, i was digging into an iced piece of cake. i had some cream cheese frosting in the freezer that i defrosted, whipped, and added cocoa to make it chocolate cream cheese frosting. it was delicious and i'm sure this cake would be just as good with your favorite chocolate frosting. or even some powdered sugar in a pinch.
for more information on the secret recipe club, including the list of participating bloggers, featured recipes from members, and instructions on how to join, visit the secret recipe club website!
check out my previous secret recipe club posts: bacon topped maple french toast cupcakes, cherry sorbet, slow cooker beans & mushrooms, mojito chicken tacos, maple glazed whole wheat spiced apple pizza, pig out cookies, pasta with blistered tomatoes & arugula and iced grapefruit cookies, mushroom barley soup, scalloped ham and potato bake & andes mint cake, chicken souvlaki with tzatziki, asian pork chops, lemon lime meltaways, blueberry peach crisp, minted lemon ice, white chocolate macadamia nut blondies, raspberry cream filled eclairs, jam swirled cheesecake, whole wheat grapefruit cake, chewy no bake granola bars & carrot cinnamon waffles, cannoli, gingerbread muffins, double chocolate peanut butter chip oatmeal cookies, butterscotch peach cake, whole wheat honey pancakes, minted pineapple lime agua fresca, breakfast tacos, simple almond sandwich cookies, & roasted banana rum cake.
chocolate snack cake
adapted from phemomenon
makes 1 8x8" or 9x9" cake
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 Tablespoons hot water
your favorite chocolate icing. i suggest halving this chocolate ganache buttercream from alton brown.
- preheat your oven to 350F and line an 8x8" or 9x9" baking pan with parchment paper. set aside.
- cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. add the vanilla and egg and mix until combined.
- add the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, and salt and mix just until combined.
- add the vinegar and hot water and mix until combined and smooth.
- spread into an even layer in your prepared baking pan. bake 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- cool on a wire rack for at least ten minutes. lift the cake out of the pan with the parchment paper to speed up cooling. cool completely before icing.