this is it. this is grandma's cookie recipe that us kids remember. back at a time when we hated anything with nuts, and coconut but i've already mentioned that many times, we devoured these cookies, always asking what was in them. and grandma never told - at least not me - because she knew if i knew, i'd never eat them again.
this year when i made them, i was thinking of my cousin megan, and sent her a picture. in the next couple days i had emails from megan and her brother asking if i have grandma's cookbook and could i please send them her cookie recipes!? which i did. it's nice to know that even though grandma's gone, we can all enjoy a little bit of christmas with her.
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
about 1 cup powdered sugar for rolling
- cream the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. mix in the flour, salt, and walnuts until combined.
- chill the dough for at least an hour.
- preheat your oven to 350F. roll teaspoons of dough into balls and place on a baking sheet at least 2 inches apart and bake 10-12 minutes or when they're lightly browned.
- a few minutes after the cookies have come out of the oven and are still warm, roll in powdered sugar. roll the cookies in sugar a second time when they're completely cool.
- store in an airtight container. cookies freeze well.