7.27.2011

coconut lime pound cake

when i was a kid, i loved reaching my hand into a box of chocolates, taking a bite, and seeing what i got. and in our house, boxes of chocolate only came once a year, at christmas in the form of a four piece whitman's sampler, so you had better pick a good one. each and every year, as hard as i tried to avoid the coconut, it felt like i always chose it first. and the only thing worse to a kid with braces was the chewy chocolate covered caramel.

lucky for me, i grew up and discovered true coconut goodness - pina coladas, coconut popsicles, samoas. and now i can add this cake to the list. it's the perfect bite of tropical goodness, when instead of lying on the beach drinking a pina colada, you're stuck at your desk at work, day dreaming about your next island getaway. the only thing better? a real pina colada, sitting on the beach, in mid february.


coconut lime pound cake
adapted from honey & jam and seven spoons
1 hr 15 min, makes 1 loaf

for the cake:
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups sweetened or unsweetened coconut
finely grated zest of one lime, about 1 tablespoon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

for the glaze:
juice from one lime
1 to 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
  1. preheat your oven to 350F. spray an 8 by 4 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
  2. in a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and vanilla and set aside.
  3. in a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. stir in the sugar, coconut, and lime zest. make a well in the center and add the egg mixture, stir until combined. gently mix in the melted butter.
  4. pour the batter into the pan and bake about one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  5. remove from oven, and cool in the pan five to ten minutes. invert and finish cooling on a wire rack.
  6. when the cake is cool, make the glaze. place the lime juice in a small bLinkowl. add one cup confectioners sugar and whisk until blended. make the glaze to the consistency you like - add more confectioners sugar to make the glaze thicker or water to make it thinner. drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake.
check out more sweet treats at sweet tooth friday and sweets for a saturday!

14 comments:

  1. I'm thinking a slice of this with my Island Coconut coffee...YUM!

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful!!! ALLLL my favourite flavours (well, cinnamon coconut and citrus anyway!) rolled into one divine looking cake. I am saving this little stunner for sure, and such a gorgeous photo too :) loverrlyy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I'd love to have a slice of this right now for breakfast. Coconutty / tropical foods make me giddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this on TasteSpotting. I would love a slice of this right now. Looks amazing! I have one lone rum tea bag left from a trip to the Bahamas...this would go lovely with it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. How yummy! That cake looks amazing and I love the citrus flavoring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love coconut and lime. This looks like a yummy loaf. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seriously looks and sounds so good!! You should come and enter my cookbook giveaway!! http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/2011/07/30-minute-rolls-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whenever I see a pound cake on a linky party, I have to stop by for a visit. I'm a pound cake fan! This one looks and sounds delicious! I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have never made a pound cake i copy it's look delicius......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this!! YUMMY!

    You are invited to come by to our blog for a CITRUS linky party. The link will be open all week until late on Saturday.

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kate,
    Your photos are unbelievably gorgeous! I'm looking to get into food photography. Could you please tell me what camera/lens you are using?
    With thanks,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this looks so good! I'm planning on making a vegan version of this tomorrow!
    Would it be ok for you, if I post the modified recipe on my blog? Of course I will link back to you...

    Greetings from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tandlerin - of course you can make a vegan version! I hope you enjoy the cake as much as I did!

    rentacrowd - i just realized i didn't respond to your question. i currently use a canon t2i and usually use a 18-55mm lens. most pictures here from december 2010 to the present use the t2i - i used a canon g9 before. i take a lot of pictures outside of this blog (and of things besides food!) so i upgraded my camera mostly for that. the g9 worked really well - it's more about lighting, aperature, and food styling than the type of camera you use. i hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...