even though it's may, and summer is starting to rear it's head with highs in the mid-eighties, my slow cooker is still going strong. and since it's may, my rosemary and thyme are also growing full speed ahead. so this time, i decided to couple two of my - and jason's - favorite things: lemon and fresh herbs with chicken.
it's the perfect way to usher in spring, especially if it happens to be raining on any eighty degree days or there's a break in the temperature and you're staring at a week's worth of highs in the upper sixties.
and sandwiches with the leftovers are amazing.
slow cooker honey lemon chicken
adapted from cook eat love
15 min before prep, 6-8 hours cook, 15 min after prep; serves 4-6
this recipe makes way more sauce than you'll need for four chicken breasts. consider making even more chicken and freezing it, or freezing the sauce itself for later.
1 medium onion, sliced
2 lemons, sliced thick
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
olive oil, salt, & pepper
1 head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
couple sprigs fresh rosemary
couple sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
- place half of the onion and lemon slices in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- coat the chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. place on top of the onions and lemons in the slow cooker.
- top the chicken with the rest of the onions and lemons and scatter the garlic cloves, rosemary, and thyme on top.
- pour the honey and chicken stock over the chicken.
- cook on low for six to eight hours.
- remove the chicken breasts and tent with foil to keep warm.
- remove the lemon slices, thyme, and rosemary from the slow cooker and throw away. transfer the rest of the liquid to either a small saucepan, if using an immersion blender, or a blender. blend until smooth. transfer to a small saucepan if using a blender.
- bring the sauce up to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer. mix the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl and whisk into the sauce. let simmer a minute or two until thick.
- slice the chicken breasts and serve with the sauce.