sometimes, all i want for dinner is a bowl of pasta, dressed ever so simply with fresh tomatoes, garlic, and basil. it's one of my all time favorite dinners, both because it's packed with flavor and takes a mere 15 to 20 minutes from start to finish. and with summer approaching and the promise of fresh, homegrown tomatoes and basil, i can't wait to dig into this all summer long.
creamy tomato basil pasta
20 minutes, serves 4
1 pound pasta
2 tablespoons butter
~1 1/2 - 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons minced basil
4 garlic cloves, minced
~ 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- cook pasta according to the directions. reserve about 1 cup pasta cooking water.
- melt the butter in a saute pan over medium low heat. add the tomatoes and cook until they start to give off their juices.
- add the garlic and cook an additional 5 minutes. add about 1/2 cup pasta cooking water to thin the sauce.
- add the basil and heavy cream and simmer until the pasta is ready.
- toss sauce with the pasta. add more pasta water to thin out the sauce, if desired.