7.14.2011

mushroom marsala fontina flatbread

when it's this hot, it has to be something pretty good for me to turn on the oven. which brings me to one of the most underutlized tools in my kitchen: the toaster oven. 

i bought a pack of premade flatbreads at the market last weekend for a dollar. topped with vegetables and cheese, they make the perfect quick, meatless meal. [not feeling mushrooms? tomatoes are finally in season. top a flatbread with sliced tomato, slices of fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil. perfection.]


mushroom marsala fontina flatbread
30 minutes, serves 2

2 cups sliced mushrooms
small red onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
splash (2-3 tablespoons) dry sherry
8 ounces fontina cheese, grated or thinly sliced
2 premade flatbreads, about 8" by 8"
  1. coat the bottom of a sautepan with olive oil and place over medium-low heat. saute the mushrooms and onions until starting to soften, about five minutes. add the garlic and saute an additional five minutes until really soft and the onions are starting to caramelize.
  2. add the sherry to the pan and cook until thickened.
  3. divide the mushroom and onion mixture between the two flatbreads and spread evenly.
  4. cover the mushrooms and onions with fontina.
  5. toast in a toaster oven for about 5 minutes, or broil in a conventional oven for a few minutes, until the cheese melts and the edges are crunchy.

5 comments:

  1. I have a toaster oven / toaster combo and sadly have never put the toaster oven to use. It's about time I change that with this delicious recipe. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Using pre-made flatbreads is a lot quicker than handmaking pizza dough... You could even do this recipe on the BBQ!
    - Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, that looks delicious. I've been craving mushrooms lately! I really need to get a toasted oven, I've been finding so many uses for one lately, and especially in the heat it would be nice to use that instead of a regular oven. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been a fan of toaster ovens but we did recently get a Breville Smart Oven. I highly recommend this oven. It does a great job, heats up and cools down fast, does not take up a lot of space and is perfect when you want to bake on a 90 degree summer day. The toast man tells me it makes great toast; I still toast my bread in an old fashioned toaster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited to try this: can't ever say no to mushrooms, onions, cheese, and bread together!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...