i had every intention to make these for our valentine's breakfast on february 13th. i made an impulsive, last minute switch and made these donuts instead. silly me. yeah, those donuts were great - and yeah, the two of us ate 24 of them in two days (i know, i know, everything in moderation) - but these waffles. they really are insane. it has taken every ounce of me not to make them again, this week, for dinner.
the one and only thing wrong with this recipe is that it only makes four waffles. four!! i don't know about you, but four waffles in my house really only serves one adult. so next time, i'm not only doubling it, but tripling or quadrupling it. waffles freeze incredibly easy. and heat up perfectly in the toaster.
the original recipe called for buttermilk, but i almost never buy it. i had sour cream left, so i used 1/2 milk + 1/2 sour cream to make up the buttermilk. it worked perfectly.
i made these waffles again, two saturday mornings later, this time using 1 cup milk + 2 tablespoons white vinegar instead of the milk + sour cream. the all milk batter was a lot thinner (as expected) than the batter with sour cream. the sour cream waffles also seemed to cook up more evenly. i'm sticking with the milk + sour cream combo next time.
waffles of insane greatness
adapted from food network
50 minutes total, 20 minutes active; serves 2 adults (makes 4 waffles)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
your favorite waffle accompaniment for serving
- in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- add the milk, sour cream, oil, egg, sugar, and vanilla and mix well.
- cover with plastic wrap and let the mixture rest on your counter for 30 minutes.
- when the batter has ten minutes left to rest, preheat your waffle iron.
- when the batter is ready, spray your waffle iron with non stick spray. divide batter evenly amongst four waffles and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.