this past christmas, my sister got me everything i need to make donuts: lara ferroni's book, a donut cutter, and a mini donut pan. which gave me the perfect opportunity to retry mini baked chocolate cake donuts. i made the exact same recipe, this time using my donut pan and this time, they're topped with a perfectly sweet raspberry glaze. did i mention these are done - start to finish, i even did all the dishes - in thirty minutes?!
don't have a donut pan or haven't quite decided yet if you need one?! these bake up perfectly in a mini muffin pan. the only thing missing is the characteristic hole.
raspberry glazed baked chocolate cake donuts
donut recipe adapted from lara ferroni
30 minutes, makes 24 mini donuts
for the donuts:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the glaze:
2 tablespoons strained raspberry jam or raspberry jelly
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (a splash)
about 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- lightly grease a mini donut pan (or mini cupcake pan). preheat your oven to 350F.
- sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda together (be sure to sift it and not just whisk it, to break up the lumps of cocoa). whisk in the sugar, nutmeg and salt. use your fingers to add the butter. crumble it together with the other dry ingredients until it resembles coarse sand. set aside.
- in another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, sour cream, vanilla and egg. add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- fill each donut mold (or muffin tin) 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full. bake for about 8 minutes, until they spring back when touched. turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- while the donuts are cooling, make the glaze. if using seeded raspberry jam, strain the jam through a fine mesh strainer to get rid of the seeds. if using jelly, you're all set. whisk the jam/jelly with the vanilla. slowly add confectioners sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking after each spoonful. continue adding sugar until you have a thick syrup.
- dip the top of each mini donut into the glaze. place on a wire rack for the glaze to set.
this recipe was selected by Ali as one of her top five favorites for sweet tooth friday! check out all the other great sweets!
2011.06.13 This was Hoosier Homemade's secret recipe selection!