this year, like most, i made way too many sweet treats in the month of december. there were these classic sugar and gingerbread cutouts, my favorite hot chocolate cookies, new york times chocolate chip cookies, my dad's favorite shortbread, an almond joy biscotti (more on that later), and a new favorite chocolate pistachio cranberry thumbprints (more on those later, too). hopefully i didn't miss anything. with all those sweets, i should have been sugared out by new years. but no, here i was, december 30, mixing peanut butter, pretzels, and sugar, and giving them a good dunk in dark chocolate.
making these truffles reminded me how relatively easy it is to make candy. and that honestly, i should make real chocolate truffles soon. valentines day, maybe?!
peanut butter pretzel truffles
adapted from annie's eats
30min prep, 30min dip in chocolate; makes 42
for the filling
1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 cups crushed pretzels
for the coating
12 ounces dark chocolate
for the drizzle
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon milk
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- make the peanut butter filling by creaming the peanut butter, sugar, and butter together with a mixer. slowly add the pretzels and mix until combined. line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside. scoop out about 2 teaspoons of the filling and form into rough balls (i used my small cookie scoop). at this point, don't worry about making the balls smooth on the outside, if you try to roll them, they'll fall apart. refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- take the balls out of the refrigerator and roll between your palms to make them smooth. place in the freezer while you prepare the chocolate coating. the balls can stay in the freezer for a couple hours, if you prefer.
- to coat the balls, place about 3/4 of the dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 second intervals, mixing after each interval, until melted. once melted, mix in the remaining 1/4 of the chocolate and mix until melted.
- roll each ball of filling into the melted chocolate and return to the lined baking sheet. place back in the refrigerator once finished. let sit 30 minutes or until the chocolate has set before drizzling.
- to make the drizzle, place the peanut butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or until melted. whisk in the milk and powdered sugar.
- drizzle the peanut butter mixture over the truffles. let the drizzle dry completely before packing. store in the refrigerator.