i spent the next two weeks trying to catch up with life that i missed while we were all sick. which brings me to this week. we're finally all healthy and most everything is caught up. except for the eighteen draft blog posts sitting in my computer, waiting for me to catch up.
i've professed my love for scones many times before and these are no different. i have about eight cups of blueberries in my freezer from when i picked them last summer and knew these scones would be a great way to feature them. it didn't hurt that they went to brunch with me, where i spent a couple blissful hours baby free.
lemon glazed blueberry scones
30 minutes, makes 9 large scones
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- preheat your oven to 375F. line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
- using your hands or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- mix in the blueberries.
- add the milk and vanilla extract and mix just until combined.
- turn the dough out onto the baking sheet and use your hands to form it into a rough circle or square. cut into as many scones as you'd like.
- bake for about 15 minutes (smaller scones will take less time to cook, so check them often). transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- to make the glaze, whisk the sugar and lemon juice until smooth, starting with one tablespoon juice and adding more until it's the consistency you like. drizzle the glaze over the scones. scones are best eaten the day they are made. if storing, avoid air tight containers as the glaze will soften and get soggy.