rushing off to a new years eve party? or hosting one yourself? these chicken skewers would be the perfect party food! they're simple to throw together, can be cooked up quickly, and are delicious hot or at room temperature. and who doesn't love food on a stick?!
chipotle chicken skewers with creamy cilantro dipping sauce
adapted from cook's illustrated holiday entertaining 2012
15 minutes prep, at least 30 minutes to marinate, 15 minutes cook; makes about 30 skewers (enough for 2 for dinner, more for snacks)
we had these for dinner and had about half of the dipping sauce leftover. consider making half a batch unless your crew is liberal with dip.
for the chicken
2 large boneless chicken breasts (about 1 pound), cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle in adobo
1 teaspoon canned chipotle in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
wooden or metal skewers
for the sauce
6 tablespoons sour cream
the juice of one lime (2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1 scallion, minced
- combine the chicken and remaining ingredients in a large bowl or ziptop bag. mix to combine, cover, and let the chicken marinate at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- preheat your broiler. line a sheet tray with aluminum foil.
- while the broiler is heating, skewer each piece of chicken and line them up on the pan with the handle end of the skewer facing the middle of the pan. cut a piece of aluminum foil wide enough just to cover the handles in the middle of the pan and cover them to prevent the wood from burning. broil 5 minutes, flip, and broil 5 additional minutes.
- while the chicken is cooking, combine the sauce ingredients and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- serve the chicken skewers with dipping sauce.