this year, just as years past, mom hosted her halloween soiree. while this year's wasn't as big, scary, or as theme based as years past, it was fun none the same. and even though i didn't intend to - i started my own theme with pumpkin cakes. last year it was this iced pumpkin chocolate spiced bundt and this year - i swapped the bundt pan and the chocolate for brown sugar and cream cheese. best decision i ever made.
and while we were all too busy munching on popcorn (like snoopy in a charlie brown thanksgiving), crunch bars, and chocolate spiderweb cupcakes, everyone took some home. and the email requests for the recipe started the very next day.
pumpkin sheet cake with brown sugar cream cheese frosting
cake adapted from kitchen simplicity, frosting adapted from martha stewart's cupcakes
30 minutes (plus cooling time), makes one 9x13" cake
for the cake:
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups pumpkin puree
for the frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- preheat your oven to 350F. grease a 9x13" pan & set aside.
- in a large bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, and eggs until smooth. whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until smooth. whisk in the pumpkin puree until smooth.
- pour the cake batter into your greased pan. bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- while the cake bakes, make the frosting. beat the butter and cream cheese until combined. add the brown sugar and mix completely. taste the frosting & add powdered sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, if you'd like the frosting sweeter.
- wait for the cake to cool completely before frosting. store frosted cake in the refrigerator.