i don't know how i feel about polenta. i've had it a couple times in restaurants, but never attempted to make it - or anything with it - at home. so i took a baby step.
i love mushrooms. i love cream sauce. i love beef and chicken smothered in mushroom cream sauce. seems like polenta would be an easy replacement, right?
for me, not so much. the flavor clashes. too much. maybe because it's store bought. i think after tonight it's time to try to make it from scratch.
this dinner wasn't bad - jason really liked it - but it didn't quite do it for me.
polenta with mushrooms
inspired by everyday food's polenta wedges with asparagus and mushrooms
time start to finish: 45 minutes, 2 hearty servings
1 pound mushrooms, cremini or white button, your preference, sliced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons heavy cream
- coat a large skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. add the mushrooms and garlic.
- cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- heat broiler, with rack 5 inches from heat. place a rimmed baking sheet in oven to heat, 5 minutes.
- season with salt and pepper. uncover, add broth, and cook until reduced by half about 6 minutes.
- stir in cream and cook 2 minutes. remove from heat.
- cut polenta into 1/2 inch slices. pad dry with paper towel. brush both sides with oil. season with salt and pepper and place cut side down on the baking sheet.
- broil until golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- serve mushroom sauce over hot polenta slices.