any time i see another blog declare a chocolate chip cookie "the best", i add it to the list, hoping one day to try all of the best chocolate chip cookies and declare a winner myself. since i typically make chocolate chip cookies once a year - ok, twice - it's going to take a while for me to get through them all.
this recipe caught my eye not only because it's deemed "the best" but also because his kids make them all the time, they're both crispy and chewy, and it was deemed "the best" after trying dozens of chocolate chip cookie recipes. i was intrigued enough to give them a spin. with a hearty dose of toffee bits, they were mine in no time.
are these the best chocolate chip cookies? no, but they're pretty darn close and pretty tasty none the less. for me, they're a little too flat - which i realize could be due more to my method than the recipe itself - i like a cookie with a little bit more heft to it. but they're definitely chewy and crispy and a breeze to throw together.
and mom, since you like thomas keller's chocolate chip cookies so much, i think you'll like these too.
these chocolate chip cookies not grabbing you? how about one of these: thomas keller's chocolate chip cookies, the chewy [alton brown's chocolate chip cookies], cook's illustrated's chocolate chip cookies, or crunchy jumbo chocolate chip cookies.
toffee chocolate chip cookies
adapted from rock recipes
30 minutes, makes about 2 dozen cookies
i made a double batch of these cookies, omitting the toffee bits. i baked off about half of the dough and mixed 1 cup toffee bits into the second half, so i had both chocolate chip cookies and toffee chocolate chip cookies. which means my husband and i had our own batch of cookies, since he doesn't care for toffee.
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup toffee bits
- preheat your oven to 350F. line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- in a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- add the flour, salt, and baking soda and mix until combined. stir in the chocolate chips and toffee bits.
- drop cookies by rounded tablespoon (or tablespoon and a half using a medium sized oxo cookie scoop) onto the parchment paper. be sure to leave a good two inches between cookies as they spread when baked. bake until light brown around the edges and the middle is just starting to set, about 12 minutes. remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- store in an airtight container. these cookies freeze really well.