last month when i was mixing up these granola bars, i couldn't stop thinking about how easy and fast they are to make, and the countless flavor combinations. and the classic chocolate and peanut butter beat out the others.
if you've ever made rice krispy treats, you can handle these bars. instead of marshmallow, it's sweetened honey and peanut butter that holds the oats and rice cereal together. topped off with mini chocolate chips, they make a great peanut buttery chocolate snack.
peanut butter granola crispy bars
adapted from dorm life eats
5 min prep + 15 minute cooling, makes one 8x8 inch pan (about 10 bars)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oats
1 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
mini chocolate chips
- line the bottom of a 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- in a small saucepan, combine the butter, honey, sugar, and peanut butter and heat over low heat until melted and smooth. stir in the vanilla extract.
- combine the peanut butter mixture with the oats and crispy rice and mix well.
- transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and spread out using a spatula. sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the bars and use your hands to press them into the top.
- cool on the counter or in the refrigerator until set. cut and serve. store in an airtight container.