jason and i have very different weekday lunch habits. he goes out to lunch with the guys almost every day and refuses to eat the same lunch two days in a row. i am the complete opposite. i bring my lunch almost every day and regularly eat the same thing five days in a row (i've been known to eat the same lunch for weeks at a time). and because i tend to eat the same thing for at least five days in a row, i like lunches that are either quick and simple to assemble every day or something i can make once and eat all week.
i never ever get sick of tacos. i don't really know why. i didn't have them much as a kid and when we did, it wasn't anything special. but now, i can't get enough.
this is one of those "why didn't i think of that?!" recipes. so amazingly simple. i really don't take advantage of my slow cooker as much as i should. and now that i tackled chicken tacos, there must be a way to make carnitas and beef in it too.
consider yourself warned: this chicken is amazing, and the recipe makes a lot. i mean a lot. the sunday i made this, two of us had tacos for dinner. i ate tacos the rest of the week for lunch and at the end of the wek had at least half of the meat left. if you're cooking for a smaller crowd, like me, then i suggest freezing half for later.
slow cooker chicken tacos
adapted from beantown baker
6 hours, serves a lot (12+)
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
one packet taco seasoning or two tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
15 ounce low sodium chicken broth
- pour the diced tomatoes into the bottom of your slow cooker. spread the tomatoes around to make an even layer.
- lay the chicken breasts over the tomatoes.
- in a small bowl mix the taco seasoning and chicken stock. pour over the chicken.
- cover and turn the slow cooker on low. cook for about 6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- remove the chicken from the slow cooker, leaving the liquid behind. shred the chicken with a fork. add liquid to the chicken, a tablespoon at a time, until the desired wetness.
- serve with your favorite taco fixings. freeze leftovers.