in the madness that is november and december, while i did have time to cook and great intentions to post, i didn't quite make it. and since i still have cans and cans of pumpkin puree in the pantry (for fear of another pumpkin shortage), these pumpkin bars make an easy treat!
pumpkin sugar cookie bars
adapted from good life eats
1 hour, makes 24 bars
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin)
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (see below to make your own)
1/8 teaspoon (big pinch) cardamom
1/8 teaspoon (big pinch) ground cloves
- preheat your oven to 375 and grease a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- with a mixer, cream and butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. add the eggs one a time, mixing after each egg. add the vanilla and mix well.
- in a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and spices and whisk to combine.
- add half of the flour mixture to the butter and egg mixture and mix until combined.
- add the pumpkin puree and mix until combined.
- add the remaining flour mixture and mix until combined.
- spread evenly in the greased pan. bake about 15 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. make the frosting while the bars are cooling. cool completely before frosting with buttercream.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
- in a medium bowl, mix the sugar, vanilla, and salt. add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until combined.
- add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until smooth and creamy. spread over cooled bars.
pumpkin pie spice
adapted from joy the baker
combine & store in an old spice jar:
2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom