i make one meal a week without meat for a couple reasons. vegetarian meals are usually cheaper, i get sick of chicken and beef, and every once in a while it's good to not have a meal centered around meat. lately it's been eggs and i wanted something different. so bean quesadillas it was. luckily i already had everything but the tortillas too. and it all came together in about 30 minutes (including the ten minutes i baked them). not too bad for a weeknight. and we even had some left over.
double decker black bean quesadillas (for two)
for the corn -
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 onion, diced
2 cups corn
1/2 teaspoon cumin
- in a saute pan, melt the butter over medium heat. add the onion and saute until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- add the corn, salt to your liking, and cumin. cover and cook about 10 minutes.
- keep warm until the beans are ready to go.
15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, diced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
3 gloves of garlic, minced
3/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt & pepper
- in a saute pan, melt the butter over medium heat. add the onion, tomatoes, and garlic and saute until onions start to soften and tomato starts to break down, about 5 minutes.
- add the beans, water, oregano, and season with salt and pepper. bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes or until most of the water has been cooked out.
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- preheat the oven to 350F.
- on a non stick baking sheet, layer a tortilla, corn, beans, cheese and repeat. top with a third tortilla.
- bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese starts to melt.
- cut into wedges and serve.