last weekend (or was it the week before?) i caught america's test kitchen's "saucy italian favorites" show. i love a good pesto, but i was surprised to see them make a Sicilian pesto ofrom fresh tomatoes and ground almonds instead of pine nuts. it was really really good and really really easy. and another reason to fire up my food processor.
pasta with tomato and almond pesto
adapted from america's test kitchen
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
2 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
pinch red pepper flakes
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 pound pasta, cooked according to package directions
- mix almonds, tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt, and red pepper in a food processor for 1 minute until smooth.
- stream in olive oil to the tomato mixture.
- mix sauce into cooked pasta. mix in grated parmesan.
homemade garlic bread
1 loaf italian bread
1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
6 cloves minced garlic
salt & pepper
- preheat oven to 350F. slice bread in half horizontally.
- mix the butter, cheese, and garlic together. season with salt & pepper.
- spread butter evenly onto both sides of the bread. put the loaf back together, put on a baking sheet, and bake about 10-15 minutes.